Founded in 1994, Compolite started as a supplier of components for lights, hence its name “Compolite”, which is a portmanteau word of its core business. We provide lighting solutions for industrial and commercial applications before moving into the offshore marine & shipyard market. Our latest venture is into the luxury yacht and boating industry, working with the boat builders & boat servicing companies, boat dealers and private boat owners, bringing our lighting expertise and our newfound nautical solutions into the scene. Check our company’s history in the timeline below.
26 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
ASIAN LEADING SOLUTIONS
Fast & Affrodable Solutions
RELIABLE HIGH QUALITY PRODUCTS
Founded by James & partners - 1994
Founded by Managing Director James Lee and partners in a 2500 square feet Hong Joo warehouse in Tagore Lane. The warehouse has since been renamed.
1994 - exclusive distributor for Magnetek’s May & Christe
Exclusive distributor for Electronicon - 1997
Acquired exclusive distributorship for South-East Asia with Electronicon Kondensatoren GmbH, selling lighting capacitors for power factor correction (PFC)
1998 - Turnover of SGD$1million
Exclusive Distributor for Mellert SLT - 1998
Acquired exclusive distributorship for South-East Asia with Mellert SLT GmbH & Co. KG, selling lampholders
1999 - Shifted from 2500 to 7000 square feet warehouse
Company grew & moved over to Yishun Five Star Building at 61 Yishun Industrial Park A with a 7000 square feet factory space – more than double the size of the previous Hong Joo warehouse!
Exclusive Distributor for BJB - 1998
BJB GmbH & Co. KG bought over Mellert SLT GmbH & Co. KG. We became exclusive distributor for Singapore & Malaysia with BJB GmbH & Co. KG
2000 - James takes 100% ownership of Compolite
Turnover of SGD$3Million - 2000
2011 - Exclusive Distributor for BLV Licht
Managed LightPartner Far East Sales & Operations - 2014
Managed the sales & operations for LightPartner Far East, Singapore from 2014 to 2017
2016 - Exclusive Distributorship for Quick SpA
Acquired exclusive distributorship for South-East Asia for Quick SpA, selling LED lighting and marine parts such as anchor-windlass, bow & stern thrusters, battery chargers, water boilers, etc. for yachts and small boats
Distributor for Faeber Lighting System SpA - 2016
Acquired distributorship for South-East Asia with Faeber Lighting System SpA, selling lights for industrial applications such as floodlights, street lighting, etc.
Jonavan joins the business - 2018
Founder & Managing Director James Lee’s son, Jonavan, joins the 24 year-old business
First Gyro Stabilizer Installation - 2018
Installed our first Quick MC2X 16k gyro stabilizer on a Beneteau GT 46 in Singapore!
Click this box to find out more!
2018 - First Gyro Stabilizer Sea Trial
Embarked on our first sea trial of the Quick Gyro Stabilizer MC2X 16K with 8 guests!
Click this box to find out more!
The future is to be written. We hope that you as a reader will join us in our journey to write a mutually beneficial future that will continue to light the way for the world’s lighting and marine needs.
Joined the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) as an electrical technician
- ROD-ed from the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN)
- Joined Tasin Electric Co. Pte. Ltd. as a sales executive
Tasin Electric has been absorbed by Lim Kim Hai Electric
- Left Tasin Electric Pte Ltd
- Joined Diethlem & Co. Ltd. as a sales engineer. Diethlem & Co. Ltd is now DKSH (DiethelmKellerSiberHegner)
- Began studying part-time for his Diploma in Marketing & Sales from Marketing Institute of Singapore
- Left Diethlem & Co. Ltd
- Joined Intraco Ltd as a sales engineer
- Began studying for Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK (IMuk)
- Graduated with Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK (IMuk)
- Got his first son, Jonavan
- Left Intraco Ltd
- Joined Vossloh Schwabe as the pioneering regional sales manager
- Began studying part-time for his Business Degree
- Left Vossloh Schawbe
- Joined Magnetek Asia Pacific as Regional Sales Manager
- Founded Compolite Pte Ltd with partners
- Graduated with Bachelor of Business from Australia’s Charles-Sturt University
- Left Magnetek Asia Pacific
- Joined Compolite Pte Ltd full-time with partners
- Bought all the shares back from his partners, taking 100% ownership of Compolite
- Sales peaked with a turnover of SGD$3m with a staff strength of 6 people
- General Manager of LightPartner Far East from 2014 to 2017
- Managed the sales & operations of the Singapore office
Graduated with Masters in Ministry, Colorado Theological Seminary
Graduated from Temasek Polytechnic (TP) Engineering School with a Diploma in Microelectronics (Director’s List)
Worked as a lab teaching-assistant in Temasek Polytechnic for 3 months – teaching and troubleshooting his students’ lab work on logic gates design & implementation – before enlisting in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF)
- Went overseas for work-&-study exchange program for 6 months in Shanghai, China
- Studied in Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU aka 上海交通大学)
- Worked in Shanghai Venture-GES Information Technology Co. Ltd as a New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer
Graduated from Nanyang Technological University (NTU) with an honours degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering. B.Eng, EEE (Hons)
Became a professional freelance emcee and performer
Joined People’s Association (PA) as a constituency manager at Tampines North CC. Worked with Mr. Baey – then MP for Tampines and Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Ministry of Culture, Community & Youth – managing volunteers and different committees to bring community events to Tampines North
Left job in People’s Association (PA) in late 2017
Joined Compolite Pte Ltd as the sales manager