Founded in 1994, Compolite started as a supplier of components for lights, hence its name “Compolite”, which is a portmanteau word of its core business. We provide lighting solutions for industrial and commercial applications and have now moved into the offshore marine & shipyard market. Our latest venture is into the luxury yacht and boating industry, working with the boat builders & boat servicing companies, boat dealers and private boat owners, bringing our lighting expertise and our newfound nautical solutions into the scene. We represent several brands & integrate them into customized solutions for our customers. Check our company’s history in the timeline below.
26 YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
ASIAN LEADING SOLUTIONS
Fast & Affrodable Solutions
RELIABLE HIGH QUALITY PRODUCTS
Founded by James & partners - 1994
Founded by Managing Director James Lee and partners in a 2500 square feet Hong Joo warehouse in Tagore Lane. The warehouse has since been renamed.
1994 - exclusive distributor for Magnetek’s May & Christe
Exclusive distributor for Electronicon - 1997
Acquired exclusive distributorship for South-East Asia with Electronicon Kondensatoren GmbH, selling lighting capacitors for power factor correction (PFC)
1998 - Turnover of SGD$1million
Exclusive Distributor for Mellert SLT - 1998
Acquired exclusive distributorship for South-East Asia with Mellert SLT GmbH & Co. KG, selling lampholders
1999 - Shifted from 2500 to 7000 square feet warehouse
Company grew & moved over to Yishun Five Star Building at 61 Yishun Industrial Park A with a 7000 square feet factory space – more than double the size of the previous Hong Joo warehouse!
Exclusive Distributor for BJB - 1998
BJB GmbH & Co. KG bought over Mellert SLT GmbH & Co. KG. We became exclusive distributor for Singapore & Malaysia with BJB GmbH & Co. KG
2000 - James takes 100% ownership of Compolite
Turnover of SGD$3Million - 2000
2011 - Exclusive Distributor for BLV Licht
Managed LightPartner Far East Sales & Operations - 2014
Managed the sales & operations for LightPartner Far East, Singapore from 2014 to 2017
2016 - Exclusive Distributorship for Quick SpA
Acquired exclusive distributorship for South-East Asia for Quick SpA, selling LED lighting and marine parts such as anchor-windlass, bow & stern thrusters, battery chargers, water boilers, etc. for yachts and small boats
Distributor for Faeber Lighting System SpA - 2016
Acquired distributorship for South-East Asia with Faeber Lighting System SpA, selling lights for industrial applications such as floodlights, street lighting, etc.
Jonavan joins the business - 2018
Founder & Managing Director James Lee’s son, Jonavan, joins the 24 year-old business
First Gyro Stabilizer Installation - 2018
Installed our first Quick MC2X 16k gyro stabilizer on a Beneteau GT 46 in Singapore!
Click this box to find out more!
2018 - First Gyro Stabilizer Sea Trial
Embarked on our first sea trial of the Quick Gyro Stabilizer MC2X 16K with 8 guests!
Click this box to find out more!
The future is to be written. We hope that you as a reader will join us in our journey to write a mutually beneficial future that will continue to light the way for the world’s lighting and marine needs.
Joined the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) as an electrical technician
- ROD-ed from the Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN)
- Joined Tasin Electric Co. Pte. Ltd. as a sales executive
Tasin Electric has been absorbed by Lim Kim Hai Electric
- Left Tasin Electric Pte Ltd
- Joined Diethlem & Co. Ltd. as a sales engineer. Diethlem & Co. Ltd is now DKSH (DiethelmKellerSiberHegner)
- Began studying part-time for his Diploma in Marketing & Sales from Marketing Institute of Singapore
- Left Diethlem & Co. Ltd
- Joined Intraco Ltd as a sales engineer
- Began studying for Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK (IMuk)
- Graduated with Chartered Institute of Marketing, UK (IMuk)
- Got his first son, Jonavan
- Left Intraco Ltd
- Joined Vossloh Schwabe as the pioneering regional sales manager
- Began studying part-time for his Business Degree
- Left Vossloh Schawbe
- Joined Magnetek Asia Pacific as Regional Sales Manager
- Founded Compolite Pte Ltd with partners
- Graduated with Bachelor of Business from Australia’s Charles-Sturt University
- Left Magnetek Asia Pacific
- Joined Compolite Pte Ltd full-time with partners
- Bought all the shares back from his partners, taking 100% ownership of Compolite
- Sales peaked with a turnover of SGD$3m with a staff strength of 6 people
- General Manager of LightPartner Far East from 2014 to 2017
- Managed the sales & operations of the Singapore office
Graduated with Masters in Ministry, Colorado Theological Seminary
Graduated from Temasek Polytechnic (TP) Engineering School with a Diploma in Microelectronics (Director’s List)
Worked as a lab teaching-assistant in Temasek Polytechnic for 3 months – teaching and troubleshooting his students’ lab work on logic gates design & implementation – before enlisting in the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF)
- Went overseas for work-&-study exchange program for 6 months in Shanghai, China
- Studied in Shanghai Jiao Tong University (SJTU aka 上海交通大学)
- Worked in Shanghai Venture-GES Information Technology Co. Ltd as a New Product Introduction (NPI) Engineer
Graduated from Nanyang Technological University (NTU) with an honours degree in Electrical & Electronic Engineering. B.Eng, EEE (Hons)
Became a professional freelance emcee and performer
Joined People’s Association (PA) as a constituency manager at Tampines North CC. Worked with Mr. Baey – then MP for Tampines and Senior Parliamentary Secretary for Ministry of Culture, Community & Youth – managing volunteers and different committees to bring community events to Tampines North
Left job in People’s Association (PA) in late 2017
Joined Compolite Pte Ltd as the sales manager